Conditions of Participation
A MAZE. Independent Games Award 2012
Berlin, February 2012
Conditions of Participation
Terms about the regulations for the "A MAZE. Independent Games Award"
Valid for the 2012 IGA
All Participants of the A MAZE. Independent Games Award (following named Contest) are subject to these Conditions of Participation and all applicable laws and regulations.
Before entering the Competition all Participants shall carefully read these Conditions of Participation and agree without limitation or qualification.
If Participants do not agree to these Conditions of Participation without limitation or qualification they may not enter the Competition.
Organizer reserves the right to dismiss and/or disqualify at any time with immediate effect any Participant who tampers with the operation of the Competition or Competition web site or violates the Conditions of Participation or any other applicable laws and regulations.
§ 1 Organizer
The A MAZE. Independent Games Award (following named Contest) is being organized by A MAZE. (following named Organizer) in connection with the “Deutsche Games Tage” to be held April 26th - April 27th, 2012 in Berlin, Germany (following named Conference).
§ 2 Contest
(1) The A MAZE. Independent Games Award chooses “THE MOST AMAZING GAME” of the year. The prize is awarded once a year and is valid only in conjunction with the respective year (e.g. " Most Amazing Game 2012").
(2) The A MAZE. Independent Games Award is open to independent games developed on PC, console or mobile and handheld platforms (iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad, PSP, DS, cell phone, Android, PDA).
§ 3 Judges
The Organizer selects minimum 5 (five) Persons to be judges of the Contest (following named Jury).
§ 4 Submitted Games
(1) Games, which are submitted, must be produced by an independent production company without any financial support by a video game publisher.
(2)An independent production company is a production company which does not have majority control by a video game publisher, either in shareholding or commercial terms.
(3)Foundations, Institutes, Universities, associations and other legal bodies acting in the public interest cannot participate.
(4)The festival director and a panel reserve the right to narrow down the choices for the jury.
(5)Jury reserves the right to refuse any game at its sole discretion.
§ 5 Decisions
The decisions of Organizer and Jury are final and binding for all Participants on all matters pertaining to the Contest.
§ 6 Access
(1) The Contest is open only to business entities and to individuals who are 14 years or older at April 26th 2012. Individuals under the age of 18 years must provide evidence of parent or legal guardian consent satisfactory to Organizer. Organizer, its parents, subsidiaries, and affiliates, and its advertising, promotion, and production agencies, as well as employees of any of the foregoing, members of such employees’ immediate families (including spouse, parents, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, step-children, step-parents and in-laws), and persons with whom such employees are domiciled, are not eligible.
(2)To enter the Contest, a Participant who is otherwise eligible under these Conditions of Participation must submit all of the following materials at any time between 12:00 p.m. on February 20th 2012 and 12:00 p.m. on March 30th, 2011 (following named Entry Deadline):
1. A properly completed official entry form, located on the Contest application page of Organizer’s website, http://.../ (following named Contest Website).
2. The fulfilled statuary declaration to guarantee the following requirements:
a) Independently Created: The Nominating Committee must be confident that the submitted game was created by an independent production, according to § 4 of the Conditions of Participation.
b) Use of Third Party Technology: Games that make use of third party game engines, middleware, or other software or technology are only eligible if the Participant has all necessary rights to present the game.
c) Rights: The Participant must have obtained the written permission of all persons or entities having any rights in the submitted Game.
1. A digital copy of the game being submitted by uploading the title to a Website, posting an URL with a playable web game. At least one (1) level of each submitted Game must be complete and fully playable.
2. A 45 € non-refundable application fee.
(3) Updates of Submitted games are only permitted until the Entry Deadline.
(4) Submitted Games may run on any platform (Windows, Mac, console, mobile/handheld, etc.). Any Participant submitting a Submitted Game that requires special hardware (e.g., uncommon PDAs or older consoles) may be contacted by Organizer to obtain the hardware at the Participant’s sole expense.
(1) If the Participant is not able to run his submitted Game on a Website, he may contact the Organizer on the Contest Website to send 7 (seven) physical copies (e.g. CD-ROMs) of the submitted Game.
§ 7 Nomination
(1) Each member of the Jury will have the option to nominate each Submitted Game.
(2) The 5 (five) games with the highest nominations from all members of the Jury in the Contest will qualify for the last Voting (following named Finalist Game).
§ 8 Finalist Prices
(1) Each Participant who submits a Finalist game in the Contest (following named Finalist) will receive:
1. Two (2) All Access passes to the Conference;
2. Coverage in a Sponsor-issued press release;
3. A profile in the Conference’s official program;
4. A license to use a version of the official Contest name and finalist logo in promotional
materials relating to the Finalist Game.
§ 9 Final Voting
(1) Each member of the Jury will select one (1) game from the Finalist Games in the Contest.
(2) The Finalist Game with the most votes in the Contest wins the A MAZE. Independent Games Award 2012 (following named Winning Game).
§ 10 Winner Prices
(1) The Finalist who submits the Winning Game in the Contest (following named Winner) will receive the prize indicated below:
The A MAZE. Independent Games Award 2012 for best Indie Game (5000, - €)
(2) In addition to the monetary prizes, the Winner will receive an award plaque and a license to use a version of the official Contest name and winner logo in promotional materials relating to the Winning Game.
(3) All monetary amounts in these Conditions of Participation are indicated in Euros and all monetary prizes will be awarded in the form of checks or money orders in Euros. Organizer reserves the right to substitute any non-monetary prizes with items of equal or greater value.
(4) The prize will be awarded on-site at the A MAZE. Jump’n Run Party at What?!
(5) The name of the Winner will be published on the Contest Website 2 (two) days after the awards ceremonies.
§ 11 Liability
(1)Organizer, its parents, subsidiaries, and affiliates, and each of their respective officers, directors, agents, and employees are not liable for any damages suffered by participants at the Contest, except for those caused by malice or gross negligence. Liability for injury to life, limb and health remains unaffected, if the damage was reasonably predictable.
(2) Organizer, its parents, subsidiaries, and affiliates, and each of their respective officers, directors, agents, and employees are not liable for any damages that occurs due a justified Dismissing or Disqualification of a Participant.
(3) It is possible that some or all Finalist may be offered gifts from Conference Organizers or other third parties. Organizer makes no representation or warranty that any such gifts will be offered or received, does not endorse any such gifts, and is no way responsible for any such gifts.
(4) Each Finalist and the Winner will be solely responsible for bearing any income or other taxes, fees, or other costs relating to any prize.
§ 12 Intellectual Property
(1) All intellectual property rights of the Participant at the submitted game in and to the Competition Entries will remain vested with the Participant. URL and physical Copies of the submitted Games will be deleted or destroyed after the Conference. Upon request of a Participant, Organizer will send the physical Copies back at the Participant’s sole expense.
(2) The Participant hereby grants Organizer and its sponsors the non-exclusive right and license to use, reproduce, distribute, make available, publicly perform, and publicly display the Nominated and the Winning Competition Entry and any associated information in connection with the advertising and promotion of the Organizer’s and its sponsors products and platforms.
(3) The Finalists consents to the use of the Finalist’s name, photograph and likeness (if an individual), logo (if any), state of residence, and Finalist Game for advertising, promotion, marketing, and administration of the Contest and Conference without additional compensation. Each Finalist further agrees that Organizer may use any and all information collected through the Contest, including the Participant’s name and contact information, for marketing or other purposes related to the Contest, to the extent permitted by law.
§ 13 Participant Warranties
Each individual submitting entry materials (including a submitted Game) represents and warrants to Organizer that:
1. such individual either is the Participant (if the Participant is an individual) or is a fully authorized representative of the Participant (if the Participant is a business entity);
2. the Participant and the submitted Game fully comply with all eligibility requirements and all other provisions of these Conditions of Participation;
3. in preparing the submitted Game and entering and participating in the Contest and the Conference, the Participant has complied and will comply in all respects with all applicable laws, regulations, and rules and has not violated nor will violate any agreement or understanding by which it is bound, including any confidentiality, employment, consulting, intellectual property assignment, or license agreement;
4. the submitted Game consists entirely of Participant’s own original work or of work to which Participant has all necessary rights; and
5. neither the submitted Game nor the duplication, use, display, performance, or distribution of the submitted Game will infringe or misappropriate any intellectual property or other proprietary rights of any person or entity.
§ 14 Cancellation
Organizer reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Contest in its sole and absolute discretion if the Contest becomes technically corrupted or is not capable of being run as planned, including infections by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the control of Organizer that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest. In such event, Organizer will post notice at the Conference and on the Contest Website and will implement an alternate means for awarding all prizes.
§ 15 Severability Clause
If any Terms & Conditions of these Conditions of Participation are invalid, illegal, or otherwise unenforceable, the contract shall remain valid except the invalid part of these Conditions of Participation. Insofar as the Terms & Conditions are not part of the Conditions of Participation or become ineffective, the Conditions of Participation shall depend on statutory law. The Contest will be governed by, and these Conditions of Participation will be interpreted by, and enforced in accordance with, the laws of the federal republic of Germany.